How much does a funeral by J Edwards Funeral Directors cost?
Every funeral is unique and personal and the final cost will depend on the options you choose, for example, the type of coffin and funeral vehicles, or if you require flowers, stationery or memorials. Third party fees that are out of our control may also vary by location, including minister, celebrant, doctors and crematorium / burial fees.
We are upfront, open and honest about our pricing and you will have the opportunity to review our J Edwards Service Guide of products and prices ahead of making any final decisions.
During the funeral arrangement, you will have as much time as you need and we will guide you through the available options to suit both your budget and wishes. We will give you total privacy to discuss or alter anything you wish before you make your final choices. A detailed written estimate of all the agreed costs will then be provided, followed by a fully itemised invoice after the funeral has taken place.
J Edwards Funeral Directors costs are based on 3 components – Basic Charges, Additional Charges and Third Party Fees. For the overall cost of a funeral you will need to add the selected items you require from each of these sections.
- Professional services – Premises and Personnel – £720
- Professional services – Personal Funeral Consultation – £345
- Bringing your loved one into our care – £255
Initial advice and guidance, 24 hour private ambulance transfer with two trained uniformed colleagues within a 50 mile radius.
- Care and attention of your loved one – £560
Provision of modern mortuary facilities, a private reflection room for visiting and personnel who dutifully care and prepare your loved one.
- Funeral hearse – from £520
- Coffin / Casket – from £340
- Embalming – from £115
- Reception into church or home – from £180
- Limousines – £225
- Floral tributes
- Funeral stationery – Price on application
- Newspaper notices – Price on application
- Dove release – from £170
- Funeral music (soloist, bagpiper, bugler, etc) – Price on application
- Videography – from £1025
- Webcasting – Price on application
- Cremated remains casket – from £95
- Scattering and interment of cremated remains – from £95
- Cremated remains memorials and keepsakes – from £30
- Memorials (headstones, tablets and kerb sets) – Price on application
This is a minimum example of cremation fees within our trading area and may not reflect the price you pay locally. For an accurate estimate of third party fees, please contact us.
- Minister / Celebrant fee to lead the service (optional)- £195
- Doctor’s fee (if coroner not involved) – £164
- Crematorium fee examples
- Portchester Crematorium – £550
- The Oaks Havant Crematorium – £785
- Chichester Crematorium – £999
This is a minimum example of burial fees within our trading area and may not reflect the price you pay locally. For an accurate estimate of third party fees, please contact us.
- Minister / Celebrant fee to lead the service (optional) – £195
- Interment / Grave Digging fee
- Churchyards – £300-£400
- Local Authority Cemetery examples (single depth new grave).
Please note all fees will double if the deceased is a non-resident of the local authority.
- Portsmouth – £546
- Havant – £785
- Isle of Wight – £899
- Petersfield – £955
- Farnborough – £1455
- Cemetery / Churchyard fee examples – (cost to purchase the exclusive rights to a grave / burial plot).
Please note all fees will double if the deceased is a non-resident of the local authority. This fee may be omitted if you have pre-purchased an existing grave.
- Portsmouth (50yrs) – £690
- Havant (30yrs) – £550
- Isle of Wight (inner row) – £630
- Petersfield (30yrs) – £1110
- Farnborough (30yrs) – £1684
- Churchyards – £284
- Fee to remove an existing headstone for burial to take place – Approx. £250
Managing your funeral costs
At J Edwards Funeral Director, we understand that the cost of a funeral can cause additional stress at what is already a difficult time for you. If you are worried about cost, we can guide you through the different finance options and discuss what financial support you might be eligible for.
Check whether your loved one had a pre-paid funeral plan or funeral insurance in place, or if they had put aside specific funding to be used for their funeral.
Funds held in your loved ones name alone will be frozen after their passing.
You can get in touch with their bank or building society to see if they are able to release these funds to help you pay for the funeral.
Help with the funeral costs
Some financial support may be available from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). The amount you are eligible for is dependent on your circumstances and any other money available, for example from an insurance policy or the estate.
The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will help guide you through the eligibility criteria and how to claim. Please visit the following links for more information about government assistance that may be available to you:
Paying in advance
A Pre-paid funeral plan from Perfect Choice enables you to arrange and pay for a funeral in advance of need.
A funeral plan can be tailored to your individual needs, so you can personalise the services to meet your requirements.
The costs of the Perfect Choice Funeral Plan are guaranteed and inflation proof – protecting you and your loved ones from rising costs. Once paid for in full, there will not be any additional costs, regardless of when the funeral takes place, relieving your loved ones of the worry of paying for the funeral.